Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management MBA essays for the 2019-20 admissions cycle are presented below for clarity of applicants.
KELLOGG MBA 2019-20 ESSAY QUESTIONS
The following two essays are required of all applicants:
- Kellogg’s purpose is to educate, equip & inspire brave leaders who create lasting value. Tell us about a time you have demonstrated leadership and created lasting value. What challenges did you face, and what did you learn? (450 words)
- Values are what guide you in your life and work. What values are important to you, and how have they influenced you? (450 words)
Re-applicants will respond to additional questions:
- Re-applicants: Since your previous application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? (250 word limit)
Kellogg introduced the video essay several years ago to provide the chance to “meet” our applicants around the world. It helps Kellogg to assess your communication skills through a medium that has overtaken the business landscape. For those who may be apprehensive about this section, the application suggests some sample questions that you can use to warm up and familiarize yourself with the format and technology.
Video essay 1: Please introduce yourself to the admissions committee.
Consider this your opportunity to share what you would want your future Kellogg classmates and our admissions committee to know about you. What makes you, you?
Video essay 2: What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?
This is an intentionally broad question so you can answer honestly and meaningfully. We want to know what set you en route to pursuing an MBA and why you’re choosing a particular Kellogg Full-Time Program.
Video essay 3: Each of you will receive a randomly selected prompt, all of which have the same objective. We want you to show us how you handled a challenging situation in your career or personal life. For example, we might ask you to tell us about a time you failed to achieve a goal you had set for yourself.
All applicants get the opportunity to provide explanations or clarification in Additional Information:
- Use this section if you think the person reviewing your application might have a few questions about one or more of your responses. This could include:
- Unexplained gaps in work experience
- Academic, GMAT or GRE performance
- Extenuating circumstances that we should be aware of when reviewing your application
The Kellogg full-time MBA application is now accepting applications. For more information, please visit the Kellogg School MBA admissions website.
Essay Tips for Kellogg MBA Program
Kellogg MBA program has always been transparent in what it seeks in prospective students. Kellog is looking for people who:
- Can motivate a team to drive impact
- Are not afraid to question the status quo and seek the non-obvious solutions
- Possess creativity and talent that is rooted in self-awareness
- Seek diversity in their networks and teams
- Are eager to dive in and collaborate with an engaged, ambitious community of peers
The most challenging trait to demonstrate and evaluate at Kellogg continues to be leadership.
Read more about Kellogg MBA Program Student Profiles, GMAT Scores, Admission Requirements and more.